Monday, March 29, 2010

Giving Back

I've spent a lot of years thinking about what motivates people to give to the causes they choose.

So let me ask you something.

When you prepare your income taxes, are you surprised by how much or how little you gave in the previous calendar year?

I have a theory. I think, for the most part, that there are plenty of people who think they give a lot more than they actually do.

Not so much Baby Boomers. More generation X and Y.

The latter group puts heavier emphasis on volunteerism and product purchase. And may swoop in with a sporadic contribution for a bright and shiny emergency or a pledge when a friend does a bike ride or a walk.

But regular, consistent monthly or several times per year donations to a single cause? Not so much.

I'd be interested to hear what you have to say about giving. What motivates you. What attracts you to it. Is there a moral imperative behind it. And, if you're willing, your age range.

Go ahead, give it to me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will give to causes that hit a note with things that matter to me deeply. (children and animals).

The more financially successful I am the more positive I feel and therefore want to use this success to help my causes.

Most important is that I feel my money is getting to the source. So many charities, so many scams it's overwhelming what the right thing to do is so I am frozen in indecision.

It's easier for me to give a little each month than a larger sum less often.

A compelling story with specifics rather than a general overview summarizing a huge problem will grab my attention.

I'm 40. Female.

Anonymous said...

I like the tax deduction!

Anonymous said...

people are such liars. we are very giving we will say. we really don't give at all. there is much greed in this world and we are all part of the madness that feeds into this. our security is our number one concern here and we clutch to our possesions to our dying day. if only we could take them with us. we all need to grow up and let go of the ego.
Freddie

W Woo said...

37. Female.
I give quite a bit of time (I'm on two voluntary boards). And on a very tight budget, so my way of giving regularly is putting a few sale grocery items into my shopping trolley, and then placing them in the Food Bank bin. So it's a small donation, absorbed into my grocery budget. Seems to work.