Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Inventiveness

Today I'd like to talk to you about some of the greatest inventions since the polio vaccine.

1) The Bubble Machine. It's amazing what a little technology, water and dishwashing detergent can do for a mood. I bet if I set up a bubble machine right here in the agency, there's no telling what joy could abound.

2) The Critter Raincoat. Take one adorable two year old and the bubble machine above, and match both with a bumble bee raincoat and there's only one word for it. Bliss. Or maybe it's "blizz", if you're speaking bumble bee. Why is it that they stop making critter raincoats at a certain size? I think a rainy commute would be a whole lot more fun if I was decked out in yellow and black stripes.

3) The waffle cone. Ice cream is delicious in any receptacle -- from cup to cone to licked straight out of the container, but there's nothing that beats the freshly made waffle cone. So what that it contains your yearly fat content? So what that you're full and half sick before you've eaten half of it. The waffle cone signals to everyone in sight that you're here for a good time....and probably not a long time, if you keep eating that way.

4) The Celebrity Autobiography. Okay, I know it's not an invention, but it's a segway into my latest guilty pleasure. Don't judge me, but I'm reading Melissa "Half Pint" Gilbert's book and I can't put it down. It's packed with dirt from the Brat Pack generation -- Rob Lowe, John Cusack, Demi Moore and the crazy shenananigans at Studio 54. Even Michael Jackson makes an appearance. I know you're dying to borrow it.

1 comment:

wendywalnut said...

re #4: not only do i dig your passion for books, but i dig even more than you are not a literary snob. i wouldn't be digging so much if it were all booker prize winners and trenchant social/political critique.
i found and read 'cutting for stone', btw. excellent recommendation!!!