Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Great Apartment Hunt, Part Deux

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer but in some things I'm a fast learner. And here is what I've learned. Finding an apartment on my own might just be a job that is bigger than me.

The effort required to locate, book an appointment to see, locate on a map and finally visit a given apartment pales in comparison to the actual jockeying that occurs once said lodging is finally viewed.

I visited a place on Friday night. The landlord told me that viewings were between 7:15 and 8:30. I arrived a bit early - closer to 7 - and saw an African woman waiting outside the door. I took a chance and asked her if she, too, was waiting for a viewing. Turned out she worked for the same organization I do, and had for the past 30 years.

She's on another floor and our paths hadn't and maybe wouldn't have crossed for some time. Yet, there we were in competition for the same place.

Frankly, if anyone was worthy of actually winning the popularity contest that constitutes apartment hunting in this city, it was her. Her last posting was Baghdad. The one before was Rwanda. I think she deserves a nice place to live.

But deserving doesn't seem to matter -- at least to the 30 or so people who filed in for a viewing while I was there. That's right. 30 people. And, it goes without saying, the apartment wasn't even that nice.

So I took myself out for dinner and made a plan.

I've bitten the bullet and engaged a relocation agent. His name is Philippe. He's blessedly eccentric and comes highly recommended from my colleagues

It's a pricey option but is, I'm told, a guarantee that I'll find something quicker and, presumably, nicer than I'd do on my own. It still might be a wild ride, but it's bound to be more fun with Philippe in tow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck petal. I think we've learned from earlier this year the importance of having a 'fixer' in your court.

When you're sitting on your lovely, flower-covered terrace, stuffing yourself on chocolate and cheese while watching the viewing line-ups across the street, I'm sure it will have been worth every penny.

b

Anonymous said...

Hearing that the African woman has waited 30 years for an apartment has me worried. I say, give up now and come back. Bring Philippe with you. He sounds hot.

: )

Nawww... just kidding. I can't wait to hear the outcome of this suspenseful tale. It's so much better than anything else I'm reading. The main character is so delightful. Please write a new instalment soon, sweet girl.

xo
D.

wendywalnut said...

Keep Philippe's card for when I arrive!! :) xow